Help convince the US Federal Judge to give Marc Emery a very short or non-custodial sentence!
In July 2009, Marc’s co-accused, Michelle Rainey and Greg Williams, went to Seattle, Washington and were sentenced to 2 years probation in Canada (no prison time, thankfully). Because of this, the extradition hearing for Marc Emery that was scheduled for June 1-5th, 2009 in the BC Supreme Court was adjourned to September 28th pending plea deal negotiations between Marc’s lawyer and the US Prosecutor.
However, in early September Marc Emery decided to sign a plea deal for a 5-year sentence in the US federal prison system. You can read Marc’s reasons why in his blog post “Why I’m Cutting a Deal“.
Marc Emery will be taken into custody on Monday, September 28th after a committal hearing at 10:00am. He will be held in Canada until the Justice Minister signs the extradition order to send Marc to the USA. Read more about the process and what will happen to Marc from that point on by reading Jodie Emery’s blog post “Marc Emery Imprisoned: Monday, September 28, Vancouver“.
HOW TO FREE MARC EMERY
First of all and most importantly, please be polite and respectful when contacting the following people. Secondly, strongly emphasize that Marc Emery is a Canadian citizen who never went to the USA and carried out his activities in Canada. If he has broken the law in Canada, he should be tried and sentenced in Canada. He should not be sent to a foreign country to be punished under much harsher laws. Continue to explain why you’re contacting them, and read more information and facts at www.NoExtradition.net to help you better explain why Marc Emery should not be imprisoned in the USA.
1) Contact the Justice Minister of Canada, Rob Nicholson, and tell him to refuse the extradition order for Marc Emery.
Phone: (613) 992-4621 and (613) 957-4222
Fax: (613) 990-7255 and (613) 954-0811
Mail: Room 105, East Block House of Commons
2) Contact the Canadian Minister of Public Safety, Peter Van Loan, and tell him that if Marc Emery applies for a prison transfer from the USA to Canada, that the Minister should approve right away.
Phone: (613) 991-2924
Fax: (613) 954-5186
Mail: 269 Laurier Avenue West
3) Contact Members of Parliament in Canada, or Representatives in the US Congress, to let them know about Marc Emery’s situation and why you and thousands of other voters want Marc to be free in his home country Canada.
4) Contact Judge Ricardo Martinez in Seattle, Washington and tell him that he should let Marc Emery return home to Canada with a no-prison sentence instead of the 5-year term in the plea deal.
Mail: Honorable Ricardo S. Martinez
700 Stewart Street, Suite 13134
5) Contact President Barack Obama and tell him that he should pardon Canadian citizen Marc Emery and let him return home to Canada.
Phone: (202) 456-1414 (switchboard) and (202) 456-1111 (comments)
Fax: (202) 456-2461
Mail: The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
6) Contact the media and express your concern about Marc Emery facing extradition to the USA.
7) Download, print and share posters and button image at Cannabis Culture. All images are copyright-free.Republish